For the blondie base:
1 ½ cups light brown sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups white chocolate chips
For the Turkish delight layer:
2 packets (20g) unflavoured gelatine powder
2 cups caster sugar
3 tbsp rose water
1 tbsp lemon juice
A pinch of salt
¾ cup water
1 tsp lemon zest
A few drops pink food colouring
For the topping:
100g white chocolate, melted
You will also need:
2 22cm x 23cm baking pans
1. First make the Turkish delight. Lightly grease one of the baking pans with oil or cooking spray and set aside.
2. Combine the gelatine powder, sugar and salt in a small pan set over a medium-high heat.
3. Add the water and rosewater. Bring the mixture to the boil and then lower the heat and allow to simmer, uncovered and without stirring, for 10 minutes.
4. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice and food colouring.
5. Transfer the mixture to the greased baking pan. Place in the refrigerator and allow to set (for best results, leave overnight).
6. In the meantime, make your blondies. Preheat the oven to 180C and grease your other baking pan with butter.
7. Melt the butter in the microwave and in the meantime, place the sugar into a bowl.
8. Pour the butter over the sugar and stir until smooth. Set aside.
9. Place the flour, baking soda and salt together in a bowl and mix to combine. Set aside.
10. Check that the butter and sugar has cooled to room temperature. Add the eggs and vanilla to the sugar mix and whisk to combine.
11. Gradually add the dry flour mixture to the wet egg mixture, mixing well after each addition until you have a smooth batter. Stir in the white chocolate chips.
12. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for a few minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
13. When the Turkish delight is set, use a spatula or fish slice to remove it from the pan and place on top of the cooled blondie base.
14. Cut the layered blondies into 20 equal bite-size squares.
15. Drizzle the melted white chocolate over the top. Allow to set at room temperature before serving.