1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup corn flour, known as masa harina (available at Lulu hypermarket)
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
4 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp butter, melted
2 cups milk
Sunflower oil, as necessary
For the mango avocado salsa:
2 avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and diced
1 small red onion, chopped to a fine dice
The juice of ½ lemon
A small handful of fresh coriander, chopped
1. Mix all the dry ingredients and the corn kernels in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, melted butter and eggs.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix, until just combined.
4. Heat a large frying pan with a drizzle of oil over a medium heat.
5. Place a ladleful of batter into the pan and cook on one side until bubbles appear on the surface, then flip and cook the other side. Repeat with the remaining batter.
6. To make the salsa, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and gently mix to combine.
7. Serve the corn cakes with a serving of salsa on the side.