1.5 litres full-fat milk
60g milk powder
pinch cardamom powder
45g ghee (clarified butter)
100g thin vermicelli, broken into pieces
60g raisins, plus extra for garnishing
60g mix of cashew nuts, almonds and pistachios, chopped, plus extra for garnishing
handful dates, pitted and chopped
1. Heat milk in a heavy-bottomed pan. When warm, add a few ladles to milk powder. Stir well until there are no lumps. Add dissolved milk powder to pan along with sugar, saffron and cardamom powder. Mix well. Bring to a boil then remove from heat.
2. In another pan, melt ghee and roast vermicelli over low heat until golden. Drain and pour on to a plate.
3. In same pan, add raisins, nuts and dates. Sauté over low heat until cashews and almonds are golden and raisins swell up.
4. Add nuts, raisins and vermicelli to milk and reheat. Simmer until vermicelli is soft and milk thickens to a creamy texture.
5. Garnish with raisins and serve warm or chilled.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
Recipe by Chef Amit Ghosh, India Palace, SFC group