Portuguese sardine salad
1kg sardines (if fresh, cleaned thoroughly; if frozen, thawed)
Pinch of coarse sea salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp peri-peri/hot sauce
700g new potatoes in their skins
For the salad
6 medium tomatoes, sliced
1 small onion, thinly sliced
50g black olives
For the dressing
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp white grape vinegar
- Make two or three slits in the plumpest part of each sardine using a sharp knife.
- Mix together the sea salt, lemon juice and hot sauce and rub into the slits.
- Barbecue the sardines over hot coals for 5-8 minutes on each side - the grilling time will depend on their size.
- While the sardines are cooking, boil and drain the potatoes.
- To make the salad, mix the tomatoes, onion and olives in a bowl.
- To make the dressing, put the olive oil, grape vinegar and seasoning in a screw-top jar and shake thoroughly.
- Serve the sardines with the potatoes and the dressed salad.