Our immune system does a great job at helping our body fight disease-causing microorganisms. But sometimes it fails, and we might not even notice. Here are some things that you can do that will help improve your immunity that you might not be aware of.
1. Eating a lot of sugar competes with Vitamin C, which is an essential micronutrient for the immune system. If you consume lots of sugar, then you may be undermining your immune system.
2. Eating lots of fatty foods or having a high cholesterol level makes your immune cells lazy – they lie around instead of going out on patrol.
3. Not getting enough sleep lowers your immune function. The body needs a good seven hours to help build itself up. Poor sleep over a long period can decrease the immune function.
4. Drink green tea – it is rich in many chemicals that have been shown to have health protective properties (phytochemicals).
5. Relax. It is very important that people can relax, or in some cases, re-learn to relax in their busy lives. One way is to practice mindfulness for ten minutes every day.
6. Eat a healthy plant-based diet. Plants provide plenty of immune-protecting chemicals.
7. Get some gentle exercise. Walking, swimming or cycling for half an hour everyday can be very helpful both physically and mentally.
8. As little as two cans of soda can reduce white blood cells’ ability to destroy bacteria. Replace sugary drinks with tea or water.