I have a tinnitus in left ear and the intensity is more in the morning. I’ve been exercising regularly and am a vegetarian. Can Ayurveda help?
Tinnitus involves the annoying sensation of hearing sound when no external sound is present. Tinnitus may be present all of the time, or it may occur periodically. Common causes of tinnitus include age-related hearing loss, exposure to loud noise, otosclerosis (stiffening of the bones in middle ear). Meniere’s disease (an inner ear disorder), stress, head or neck injuries, atherosclerosis, high blood pressure, certain antibiotics and diuretics.
To treat your tinnitus, your doctor will first try to identify any underlying, treatable conditions that may be associated with your symptoms. However, in many cases, the cause of tinnitus is never detected.
According to ayurveda, tinnitus is due to the imbalance of a certain life force that resides in the head region and governs sensory and motor functions. Cold water head baths, excess travelling, keeping awake at nights, having excess bitter, spicy and astringent foods, exposure to dry weather conditions are mentioned as causes. Consult an ayurveda doctor to know about the benefits of ayurvedic medicines and therapies. Meanwhile:
• Try applying ksheerabala thailam or sesame oil to the scalp before shower.
• Take 5g of Aswagandha (Withania somnifera) powder mixed with milk at bedtime.
• Reduce exposure to loud noises. Avoid smoking and alcohol.
• Try to stop worrying about tinnitus. The more you worry and concentrate on the noise, the louder it will become. In a quiet setting, mask tinnitus with the sound of a fan or soft music.
• Stress management through massages, meditation, exercise or yoga, may provide relief.
• Reduce salt intake.
• Avoid long spells in front of computer or on television screens.
• Apply sesame oil onto your little finger and massage it around the inside of each ear during your morning bathroom routine
• Keep the windows closed while travelling in a vehicle.
Dr VL Shyam is a Dubai-based Ayurveda practitioner. got a problem? Our fantastic panel of renowned experts is available to answer all your questions related to fashion, well-being, nutrition, finance and hypnotherapy. Email your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.