Q: I am a male, aged 25. My biggest concern is my poor memory and lack of focus. My health too is not the best. I have identified my dosha type as Vata.
Although every individual has the three doshas – Vata, Pitta and Kapha – each of us inherits them in differing proportions.
A basic knowledge of the body type helps one to determine the most fitting lifestyle to ensure wellness and longevity: this includes appropriate foods, herbs, exercise regimes, medicines, therapies, and even suitable professions. Knowing one’s constitution holds the key to health, liberation and ultimately, self-realisation.
A Vata-dominated person generally prefers warmer weather; they are lean and thin; have dry skin and hair. Vata people are artistic in nature, talkative and have a nervous temperament. Being a Vata body type is not a health issue; it is your personality and strength. However, this body type is prone to develop Vata imbalance quickly due to lifestyle and environmental changes. Therefore, a Vata person should favour a Vata balancing lifestyle that consists of the following:
• Reduce exposure to cold weather; favour warm water showers.
• Take caution in extreme summer weather too.
• Reduce spicy, bitter and astringent tastes.
• Avoid keeping late nights. Practise meditation, yoga and relaxation techniques.
• Include slightly oily and unctuous foods; healthy sweets, sour foods are good for Vata.
• Reduce or avoid honey, cold water, green gram, peas, peanuts.
• Favour: Black gram, brown rice, wheat, pomegranate, ghee, raisins, milk, berries, garlic, egg, carrots, sesame seeds, mango, onion, garlic, ginger, yoghurt, almonds.
Those who are the Vata dosha type also struggle with maintaining concentration levels, taking decisions quickly. They grasp quickly and forget fast too.
Imbalance of Vata in a Kapha or Pitta person can also cause poor memory and lack of focus. You should consult an Ayurveda doctor to understand whether your memory and focus issues are related to your body type or to an imbalance. In both cases, ghee-based herbal tonics give good results.
Dr VL Shyam is a Dubai-based Ayurveda practitioner. Got a problem? Our fantastic panel of renowned experts is available to answer all your questions related to fashion, well-being, nutrition, finance and hypnotherapy. Email your queries to email@example.com.