I would like to pursue a career in radiology and study overseas. Could you suggest a good university and the criteria?

A radiologist is a doctor who uses imaging techniques like X-Ray and MRI to diagnose and treat medical aliments. The path to becoming a radiologist is fairly long-winded and requires the student finish medical school followed by residency, which would include lectures, research and clinical training.

Before you finalise your career choice I recommend you do a psychometric test to ensure your skill sets match your interest. Be selective while shortlisting a university as some schools feature certain specialties more than others. Try and identify a school that has an active radiology society as that would help you learn more about the subject.

In high school you would need to have studied three A level subjects including chemistry and biology, with some schools preferring a third science subject. UK universities would require you sit for an entrance exam – either the UKCAT or BMAT. Be aware the test dates for these exams are well before the closing dates for submission of applications. Along with the academic grades and entrance exams it is your personal statement and interview that will be critical in getting you admission. The personal statement must reflect your passion and understanding of the subject demonstrated through relevant work experience, reading list, research, membership of societies and finally possession of skills and traits required in the profession.

Apart from good grades, a few attributes that would be needed in this profession are good communication skills, attention to detail, analytical skills, problem-solving ability and the passion to serve people. Radiology has several applications in the medical field, both diagnostic and therapeutic. As a radiologist, you could be functioning independently or as part of a team of interdisciplinary doctors and specialists who are treating patients.

[Studying medicine in Europe: is language a barrier?]

King’s College, University of London, offers the Nuclear Medicine: Science and Practice programme. This course includes topics like radionuclide therapy, clinical practice, scientific regulatory norms in nuclear medicine, etc. It also focuses on practical sessions for clinical observations, audit, research and reporting. Other universities like Cambridge, Leicester, City, Cardiff, Birmingham City and Swansea also offer Medical Radiology courses with different specialisations. Along with the degree you would need a medical licence to practise as a Radiologist.

Sanjeev Verma is an international education counsellor. Got a problem? Our fantastic panel of renowned experts is available to answer all your questions related to fashion, well-being, nutrition, finance and hypnotherapy. Email your queries to friday@gulfnews.com.