Come January 2021, students in the UAE are in for an enriching learning experience as Heriot-Watt University Dubai, celebrating its founding bicentenary, will be throwing open the doors of its brand new purpose-built campus in Dubai Knowledge Park for staff and students.
Apart from a dedicated student hub, also included in the new campus are enhanced library and social learning spaces, digitally enhanced classrooms, seminar rooms, studios, labs and a state-of-the-art robotarium.
“The modern campus is set to enhance student experience with a digitally enabled learning environment to support the delivery of the University’s portfolio of programmes including in Data Science, Computing and AI, Business, Accounting and Finance, Psychology, Architecture and Design, Construction and Engineering,” says Claire Roper-Browning, Regional Director – Marketing, Recruitment, Admissions and Communications, Heriot-Watt University Dubai.
Expect more interactive classrooms while doctoral students and research fellows can enjoy more learning spaces on the campus. In-house recording studios will encourage the creation of digital material for a more engaging and interactive learning experience. A highlight of the new campus is the Enterprise Floor where staff, researchers and students can interact with business leaders/entrepreneurs.
“Our values – inspire, collaborate, belong, and celebrate – underpin who we are, how we behave and the ways we work together across every aspect of the University. This approach has greatly influenced our building design,” says Claire.
Heriot-Watt University’s pedagogy is perfectly tuned to respond to challenges posed by the pandemic combining active, supported online learning with appropriate face-to-face learning opportunities. “As learning is likely to take a more blended approach for the foreseeable future, we have ensured that the new campus is capable of supporting this effectively,” says Claire.
The University recently received a five-star rating for the second time in a row in the second annual Higher Education Classification ratings by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority. “It’s a testament to our excellence in teaching, research, graduate employability and overall student satisfaction,” she says.
Students can expect more than just academic excellence when they enrol at the University. Apart from encouraging them to participate in community services and networking to develop leadership skills, sports and talent-building activities such as debate, drama, dance, music, gaming and anime and humanitarian activities will also be encouraged.
Heriot-Watt University, which pioneered British education in Dubai, has extensive links with business and industry with companies often directly seeking students for work placements or employment. “We also organise careers day, cultural gatherings, outings and day trips for students,” says Claire.
A unique blend of teaching excellence, research-active faculty, strong industry links, rich heritage, community engagement, career-focused programmes, and diversity is what sets the University apart from the others in the region and better equips graduates for the future, says Claire.
• MSc in International Marketing with Digital Marketing: provides an understanding of developments in digital marketing practices and how to apply these to the real world.
• BA/MA (Hons) Real Estate Management and Finance: designed in response to employer demand and in recognition that the property sector is now a central part of wider financial markets.
For more details, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Shaping ‘Women Entrepreneurs’ Scholarship: one exceptional entrepreneurial woman gets a full tuition scholarship to attend the MBA programme.
• Community Engagement Scholarship: up to 30 per cent off the tuition fee for up to 30 foundation, UG or PG students who have excelled in any community engagement activities at a national or international level.
• Undergraduate Merit Scholarship: 30-50 per cent merit scholarship on the net tuition fee based on their academic achievements and other criteria.
• Sports Scholarship: up to 30 per cent off the tuition fee for up to 30 students who have excelled in any sport at the national or international level.
For more details, https://www.hw.ac.uk/dubai/study/fees/scholarships.htm.
Anand Raj OK
- Kerala rickshaw driver earns a PhD: I hawked peanuts, toughed it out in a quarry
- Want more work-from-home productivity? Adjust the AC temperature
- Social, emotional learning activities for kids while in lockdown